Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What is a Stockpile??




With the help of TLC's Extreme Couponing show, the word "stockpile" has definitely become a popular buzzword these days!

So what exactly is a stockpile? The dictionary defines "Stockpile" as a storage pile: as a : a reserve supply of something essential accumulated within a country for use during a shortage b : a gradually accumulated reserve of something.

In "coupon lingo" that word simply means, to have a quantity of more than one of the same items on hand. For example, a stockpile may include things like 10 boxes of cereal, 5 laundry detergents, 20 bottles of ketchup, etc.

Stockpiling shouldn't be confused with hoarding. We never want to "hoard" anything. Groceries are meant to be used not collected. However, you do want to make sure you have enough of an item on hand so that you do not run out in between sales and have to pay full price. So what is the magic number for a successful stockpile? Well...that depends on you & your family's needs.

I have to admit, I have more toothpaste in my stockpile than I need. I don't think my family of four will use 40 tubes of toothpaste this year. But its so hard to pass up when they are free! So in order to keep my stockpile from becoming a hoarding pile, I give them away to friends, family and organizations that help others. I personally like to keep at least 3 of everything on hand. We go through a lot of cereal, so at any given time I have at least 10 boxes (right now 25 - hey, the sales were too good to pass up! :-)

The goal is to have enough on hand from one coupon sale to the next. So when you're building your stockpile, think about those things that your family uses and consider how often you use them. Then create a list of things you would like to have on hand at all times. Watch the grocery ads and your coupon inserts for those items. When there is a sale and you have a coupon, stock up on those items! I tend to stock up enough for at least 3 months. Typically items will go on sale once a quarter.

It's tempting to want to get large amounts of items when they are on sale or free but keep it in perspective. Your stockpile will also take up space. So that is something you'll have to consider. Make sure your stockpile doesn't take over your home and cause unneeded stress. We recently converted a linen closet into pantry #2 and I will stop there. I promised I would not let the stockpile take over! :-)

I've seen families on Extreme Couponing that have rooms dedicated to food, but I haven't met a family yet who needs 2,000 bottles of ketchup at any given time, however I do know families who can benefit by having 6 on hand. So when creating your stockpile, base it on your families needs and living space in your home. Afterall, who wants to have to manage all those expiration dates on 2,000 bottles of ketchup anyway! I've got enough things to dust and clean in my home as it is! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment